Monday, January 9, 2006

The Gospel or Adventism? Which will you Choose?

Often we hear preacher's place what is termed the Gospel above Adventist distictive beliefs. They say that the Gospel is more important than any of the other doctrines and teachings of Adventism or any group. When we take that as an assumption, and I simply do it for the sake of argument, we are given the choice between Adventism and the Gospel. Not surprisingly many of us chose the Gospel. However such a choice makes our Adventism at best irrelevant and at worst an impediment to the Gospel. Thus the Sabbath, Sanctuary, State of the Dead, and all of these doctrines must step aside while the Gospel stands front and center.


If we take this assumption and our Adventist beleifs are a sidelight that is at best only tangentially related to the Gospel then we must ask the question "Why preach Adventist distinctives at all?" Such a mindset causes the doctrines to be trotted out every so often while the more important "Gospel" is preached. Because many follow such a road there is a backlash among those with more conservative proclivities. Some of these would say that the Gospel is Adventism. At the very least the gospel of the last days is such that we must hold on to Adventism and its deistinctive beleifs. A more softened version of this would say that Adventism is just as importnat as the Gospel and thus should be preached just as often. According to all of these views there is a beleif that Advnetist beliefs should take a stronger role and perhaps stand near the Gospel in presentation.





I wish to propose another road. Instead of saying that Adventism is less important than the Gospel or that Adventism and the Gospel must be balanced, or that the Gospel is Adventism, I would suggest another course. I would suggest that we see and understand the Gsopel through our Adventism. Our Adventism provides stories, pictures, and themes to help us illuminate the Gospel in ways that others would not be able to see. Just as the Methodists with their strong view of holiness brought a light on the Gospel of God to the reformation understanding, we have a role to help illuminate the Gospel.


There are elements that we see that others cannot see due to our doctrines. We are those who see the Gospel through the Sabbath. The one who calls us to rest. The importance of Creation and recreation. We see the Gospel through the Sanctuary. The importance of God with us. The importance of cleansing and ultimate cleansing. We see the gospel through the State of the Dead. There is only life through Christ.


Instead of only preaching Adventism sometimes and the Gospel other times I would suggest that an Adventist preacher must preach both at the same time. If it ain't the Gospel it shouldn't be preached, if it ain't Adventism then why has God chosen you to preach it?

6 comments:

  1. I would put it this way: Adventism is the best way I know of understanding the gospel. I have been challenging myself to put Jesus at the center of my doctrinal understanding and make the gospel the focus of my preaching. So when I preach the distinctive doctrines I ask, What does this tell me about Jesus and his love for me? and then I preach about that.

    Cool blog. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we are using slightly different terminology to say the same thing. I think that the challenge that we have today is that our Adventist beleifs are either brought out one in a while in a form that is disconnected from the Gospel or we ignore the doctrines altogether.

    I appreciate that approach that you are attempting to follow...

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. It is very new, but I plan to update 3 times a week.

    God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have touched on the reality of what is going on in some pastor's minds and more than a few members minds. They have been given a choice between the Gospel and doctrine. This puts a wedge between the two. Worse yet, it creates a duality where there was none.

    The return of Christ, the rest of the Sabbath, the promise of good health, the peace that comes from knowing about death and eternal life all bring elements of the gospel to the forefront. I can readily find the gosepl in our other teachings too.

    I'm glad you put the spotlight on these two words; maybe we can bring them back together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty,

    Thanks for going way back to the beginning of my blog.

    I think that when we separate the two we end up with great problems that cause our doctrines to either become the sum total of the gospel or an irrelevant sidelight to the Gospel. However, I think that an approach that emphasizes that we perceive the gospel THROUGH our doctrines and teachings may be helpful.

    It is in our teachings that we appreciate and understand aspects of the gospel that others may not see (and vice versa). Much Like David stated, we seek to see what does this doctrine tell me about the gospel rather than what this doctrine tells me in and of itself.

    So we don't preach the sanctuary...we preach the gospel using the sanctuary to illustrate it. We don't preach the Sabbath per-se, but we preach the gospel and use the Sabbath to illustrate and expound on it. This is experiemental, but I ask you to join in as we attempt to do this...

    Please keep commenting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with this blog is that you are seeing the problem but attempting to reconcile the unreconcilable. Many of the Adventist Distinctives do not fit under the umbrella of the good news of the Gospel. The works based Investigative Judgment, the Law as a means of salvation or as a way to stay saved, the Remnant Theology that makes all other Christians less than if you, if you believe we are saved at all will never be truly be reconciled with Adventistism until the church deals with it's foundational errors. May God bless each reader to find and know the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Blessings and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother David...

    please tell me what I have written that you find to be irreconcilable to the Gospel...

    ReplyDelete