Thursday, March 5, 2009

Taking a Bite out of Adventism

Wrong, Right, or Irrelevant? You know there is no greater crime than to preach an irrelevant message. An irrelevant message is by definition unimportant and a waste of time. We all have heard wrong messages. Many of us have heard right messages. These messages inspire in us a desire to do something. They inspire us to move forward. Or maybe they just inspire us to attack the message. Yes it may be wrong, but it is important enough for the speaker to present it, therefore it is probably important enough for me to attempt to correct the speaker.

Right, Wrong or Irrelevant?


However, there is another category of message. This is the "irrelevant ones." These are the messages that are only of "academic" interest. You may be right, I may be right, but in the end, it really doesn't matter. For most of us, when we immediately recognize such a message, we ignore it and move on. There are some of us who actually specialize in this type of message, and soon we find ourselves in a position where no one will listen to us.

Is Our Contribution Irrelevant?


applebite300Interestingly enough, there are some among us who think that Adventism's contribution to the Christian world is an irrelevant add on. We talk about the Sanctuary Message being the doctrine that we bring to the Christian world. But then we immediately assure our Christian brothers and sisters from other denominations that this message does not really affect our understanding of the Gospel. No our understanding of the Gospel is just the same as yours, we just have added this doctrine to talk about it. No the sanctuary does not really mean that Christ will one day stop doing the work of forgiveness while he will ever retain the work of empowerment. No the sanctuary just means that God investigates who will be saved before Jesus returns. It is not about soul transformation, no we are just like you as far as the Gospel in concerned. We just fiddle around with some mathematical calculations that end up at 1844, but you don't really have to know that, all you really have to know is what you already know.

The Neutered Message


What we have ended up doing is neutered the sanctuary message so that the Christian world will not see it as a barrior to fellowship. Once you have done that, then you end up with a doctrine that is meaningless. And why preach a meaningless doctrine? And so we don't. We set it aside and forget about it. No we ain't been called to ignore that message. Neither have we been called to neuter it so that others will not find it offensive. Neither have we been called to turn it into a mathematical calculation or a celestial book-keeping operation that has no meaning for my contemporary living.


In short, I would rather you defend the real sanctuary message that includes soul cleansing. But if you must go ahead and attack the real sanctuary message. But please don't continue to promote the ignoring of this important message by turning it into meaningless drivel that we pull out once in a while at revelation seminars.

12 comments:

  1. Amen brother, amen ... On point.
    Truth needs no apology,
    It needs no dilution in a solution of you do what pleases you.
    let the truth do its work let it cut to the marrow of the bones .
    Let it have it desired effect.
    Did Christ hold back ?
    Was it not love in the message although it cut like two edge sword.
    The world is thirsting for this message.
    When your home is on fire in the night and you smell smoke .Do you wake up and whisper sweet nothings to your love ones.
    No you sound the trumpet and you give it a certain sound.
    The 3 angels message is a message of urgency,its a wakeup call to fearful judgements are about the fall.
    Our message should be pointed.
    We get confuse thinking a message of Love is one that is sentimental.
    A message of love is urgent.
    John blazed the trail
    Christ let the Pharisee know what the real deal is ..He did it in love but it was a pointed message.

    A neutered message is no message at all.
    must the members leave the building and ask what was the message today ?
    No the members must know its time to get into the program The king is at the door.

    PREACH THE WORD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think truth can be stated in a non-frantic way. Just stated like we would speak about anything else that is important - fervently, but don't whip people over the head with it. Billboards on highways targeted at members of a particular denomination are guaranteed to turn people away. Has anyone ever given a testimony that they were led to the Lord via one of these? I'd be astonished if they were. You don't pull people out of the fire by holding up a sign. You grab them, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherman Haywood Cox IIDecember 21, 2009 at 7:32 AM

    Sister Lisa,

    Thank you for your comment. I like your emphasis on presenting in a "non-frantic" way. (I may use that wording again) I also agree that billboard evangelism is not the most effective method. In fact I largely agree with all of what you have said.

    However, I think that we may have some disconnect in understanding each other because I get the impression that you think we are largely in disagreement, although I could be wrong on that. My article was not about HOW you present "truth" but what is the "truth" that we present. At least what is included in the "truth" that we present.

    Your comment is a helpful reminder about the importance of one on one connections and loving presentation, but my article was about what it is that is missing in much of our proclamation, whether done in a loving way or a not so loving way. In short, I thank you for bringing up an important point, but I don't really see how it is directly relevant to this article...

    But I might be missing something either in what I wrote (been 6 months ago) or what you wrote...But in any case, thank you for commenting and may God Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's all calm down and think about what we are saying and what we are doing. If I tell you that I can present the gospel without mentioning a word about the sanctuary message, would you believe me? I get the impression time and time again that we are bragging; we believe that we have something peculiar which gives us the right to look down on the rest of the body of Christ with disdain and scorn - be careful, be very careful! Christ did not die for Adventists alone but for mankind; try your best to remember that. I was blessed to know my grandmother and my great -grandmother; they were both believers but they were both illiterate. Despite their lack, they presented the message in a most powerful way and that is why I am still in the church today. Not only did they preach the word but they lived it to the full - I was so privileged to witness Christianity that was uncorrupted and practical. I have seen so many people arguing over doctrines than cannot save you - think about that for a moment and if you are honest; you will know that I am right. I am not saying that the doctrine is not important or relevant in part; I am simply saying that you all should relax and allow the Holy Spirit to lead because we prove nothing when we try to undermine our Christian Brethren from another denomination. As I travel across the world, I still see segregation and racism in the Adventist church. It is so difficult for me to accept the fact that racism can exist in a church where God message is fully understood.
    Let’s stop looking at the advance stuff and start looking at the basics; like, loving your neighbour as yourself.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Thank you for your response. However, I really think you are responding not to what I have written, but perhaps to a feeling that you see in the church. In line with that, I do wonder how you can construe what I have said to question the salvation of members of other denominational heritage. Do you question the idea that Adventists have anything to contribute to the Christian world? That is my point. Our contribution has been rendered mute by our reduction of it.

    I do not question the Christianity of people of other denominations and actually lead up another with members of various denominational traditions. I do not think it is bragging to speak of the Adventist contribution to Christian faith any more than for them to speak to a watering down of that which they have contributed such as Baptism by immersion or their historic emphasis on freedom (especially religious and ecclesial). If a Baptist comes to me and says that they do not want their contributions watered down I would not take that as an affront or an attack on my own Christianity.

    On the subject of racism in the church, I would encourage you to read more on this site and you will find some addressing that topic.

    Again thank you and please show me how I have put down any other denominational tradition or belittled the contribution of any other religious group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's important to preach "Thus saith the lord" and not to preach "Thus saith my degree or degrees". Many preachers have led thousand astray and now they are lost in an apostate world as in the heathen kings in Elijah's prophetic time. All the misguided preachings and false sermons being delivered today is the "end time revelation" being reveal to the world as promise. The bible tells us that all of these false and neglectful teachings and practices would increase in these times.

    One thing is for sure and that the promises of God never changes as long as we remain faithful to His will. Many person disregard the sabbath of the lord which He made at the time of creation for a memorial of His great and infinite work. Many rather to gain the world and lose their soul, but what will it prophet? Finally to say you belong to God and do not obey His will, is the same as buying an early flight "ticket" to HELL. So when the false preachers are preaching nothing but eloquent sermons, well grammatically structure and is lacking the power of the holy spirit and the guidance of the bible, they are truly wasting their time. I say preach the Elijah's message because the signs of the time is near!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. iPod: Nikotin statt Musik 11k2...

    Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic article post. Really Cool....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...A Friend recommended your blog...

    [...] What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link for your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol[...]...

    ReplyDelete
  9. she...

    Needed to create you a little observation to say thanks over again over the remarkable strategies you have shared in this case. It has been surprisingly open-handed of people like you to present freely exactly what a number of us could possibly have ad...

    ReplyDelete
  10. rayban...

    There are some interesting points in time on this article but I don? know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I'll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added...

    ReplyDelete
  11. teie...

    I? must test with you here. Which is not one thing I often do! I get pleasure from reading a submit that will make folks think. Also, thanks for permitting me to remark!...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hone...

    Hello! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the nice information you have right here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your weblog for more soon....

    ReplyDelete