Saturday, August 30, 2008

Get Over It? - Race and Black Conferences Re-mixed

Someone emailed the following:
Discussions of white racism. You call for unity, yet insist on segregating yourselves from "white" people. Get over it! Jesus didn't segregate, and neither should you.

I assume this is in response to this balanced post

Would Jesus Attack Racism?



I can only assume that this person would deny that Jesus would attack racism. Would Jesus speak the truth about why these conferences were created? We are in a wold of hurt when we cannot acknowledge the fact of racism and discrimination. We will never get over this hump towards supposed unity by sweeping this under the rug and telling black folks to "Get over it!" I guess they would assume that Jesus would sweep this under the rug and call for a superficial unity not based in a true unity that comes from an acknowledgment and understanding of each other.

Who Should Get Over It?


No, it is time for those who do not wish to acknowledge the truth of the past to get over their blindness. It is time for those who think that unity comes from ignoring the pain and hurt and reality of continued problems to get over it! It is time for the strong to get over their use of power to attempt to silence others.

This sentiment reminds me that there is still a role and place for these conferences, because we cannot truly "get over it" by solely blaming black people for their creation or continued existence. I am seeing this argument more and more and find it offensive.

Should I Lie?


It is offensive to blame black people for the creation or continued existence of these conferences when they were created because of white racism. Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? (Galatians 4:16) Should I lie and blame black people as too many are doing? Should I lie and ignore the years of mess that caused its creation? Would you be happy if I lied? Truth is truth, and I plan to say it and shame the devil.

I do reiterate as I wrote in that article under consideration, that we should come together and discuss when and under what circumstances we should move beyond this, but merely sweeping under the rug differences is not an acceptable strategy.

The Laughable Accusation of Racism


Finally, there is the laughable accusation of racism. There is simple minded idea that the elimination of the black conferences will eliminate the black and white churches.

But more than that, my accuser makes an unwarranted assumption about my church affiliation based on my recognizing that Black conferences were created because of white racism. This assumption is shown to be false by the fact that while I am not a member, the church I have been attending for the last 2 years is a mixed, but predominantly white church in a non-black conference. I wonder if my accuser would move beyond rhetoric and actually work towards the vision he or she describes, or simply make assumptions about those who acknowledge the truth...

9 comments:

  1. I am so tired of the way we get on in the Adventist church. We're supposed to be the ones that have the "truth", but you know what, we don't have LOVE. We need to get over this black and white thing and see each other as Christ sees us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am tired of the belief that the only way to get past the creation of Black and White conferences is to either blame black people for their creation or to accuse those of racism who simply state the facts that white racism created them. We cannot move beyond them until we come to terms with the reason for their creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE TO ADMIT, I THINK God cannot be pleased with the seperation of black and white conferences,especially when there is racism saddly on both side . some how I fill God does not see black an white, he just sees his people, if we are truly one of his children should not we do the same.
    After all there is only going to be one conference of people in heaven, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me brother if I am wrong but I after reading your comment above again, I hear and discern maybe a little racism and reconsiliation problem within your own spirit, if we cant live together here as christains, not black and white christains , but as christians we will not live together in heaven.

    Again forgive me if I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Brother Bill,

    I thank you for bending over backwards to not offend, but I would ask you, How so? Where is the racism in what I have written...to be more specific..where is hatred of anybody taught in what I wrote? Please note that...I have a couple of things to note...Please tell me what is racist about what I have said...I really need to see that if your critique will help me...

    1) one must read more than one post to come to the conclusion that you might be moving towards...I would ask you to read more of what I have written on race on this site.

    2) acknowledging that Black conferences were created because of White racism is not racist. It is stating a simple fact.

    3) the irony of it all is that I am currently a member of a predominantly non-black (Caucasian) church that is not a member of a regional conference.

    I have found that often people get very sensitive when the simple facts of our history are explained. Sometimes people are accused of being racist for simply telling the truth about the past. We will never get past the past if we can't even acknowledge the hurt and pain that it caused because people want to act as if it never existed...

    You may even disagree that black conferences were not started predominantly because of white racism...Let us assume you take that position...and for the sake of argument let us say that you were right...would that even make what I wrote racist? Reconciliation cannot start when one side is telling the other side what can and what cannot be brought up.

    But whether you agree with me or not...you are my brother, I don't deny that...i would take it one step further...we need each other. Have you read my latest post on the subject which is the latest post on the blog right now?...

    Again, I thank you for your spirit that seems to be attempting reconciliation...It is different than the spirit in which the accusation came in which I was responding in the article. May God bless you in your work for the kingdom...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to know about past history and how things came to be, but does it really matter now, Is it really spending this much time talking about it. The question I ask you is this, has the seperation of white and black conferences brouhgt more unity and reconsiliation or division, and the most important question to ask ourselfs is God pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother Bill, Thank you for your comment. But I think that your comment demonstrates why the past history is more than good to know, but it is vitally important...why do you think that history is required in gradeschool? you cannot fully understand who you are without it...Why do we teach the history of the Advent movement to our children? Would you argue the history of 1844 or 1888 or 1901 doesn't matter either?

    The history of the black conferences tells us that we would have had a total split in the denomination if these weren't created. Some of our African American Sisters and Brothers were splitting from the denomination becuase of racial reasons...there are small denominations today that trace their lineage back to them. Like the United Sabbath Day Adventists of New York or the Free Seventh day Adventist movement. So I would argue that were there no Separated conferences there would have been larger breaks which is less unity than being under teh same denomination.

    Certainly the separation is not best, I don't argue that, but it was something that was done because we had to do it...Do you realize that the Black conferences were stared because complete and total integration was desired but the structure chose separated conferences instead of total integration? That history is important if you want to understand why we are where we are now. That history is important if you want to move forward back towards total unity. This is much like EGW who said that blacks should work for blacks and whites work for whites in the Southern Work. It was a temporary measure...You can't understand that statement of Ellen White without a knowledge of the history. Now the question is is it time to do away with the separation? perhaps...but we cannot do away with them with a caviler attitude of the history doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need to read my last post again, I said it is a good thing to know past history,, how things came to be and every thing, but does it really matter so much that some people seem to be consumed by the why, how, when. Does knowing these things really help us to prepare to meet our Lord .

    Forgive me if you thought I meant history was not important . "We have nothing to fear in the future, unless we forget how God has led in the past." E. G. WHITE .

    I GUESS THE ? IS WAS IT GOD LED, OR IS IT A WAY THAT SEEMETH RIGHT UNTO A MAN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post seemed to belittle history as "mattering now." You said "it is good to know..but does it really matter now?" It seems like you are implying that it does not matter now. If I am reading you incorrectly please let me know....I say "yes it does matter now"...you seem to say "no, it does not matter now"...I guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree...

    I am not convinced we are in disagreement on the other subject though....But I just don't know...

    Thank you for your conversation...

    ReplyDelete