Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Celebrating Advent - The Kingdom is Come - The Kingdom Will Come

Ryan Bell of the Hollywood Adventist church has written on Advent and makes this interesting statement

I wish I had time to post about the irony that, for the most part, ADVENTists don't celebrate ADVENT


While we have passed Advent and moved into epiphany, I think it is interesting to look at Advent and its importance for all Christians and especially Seventh-day Adventists. Bell argues:

The great danger facing Christmas is Christians who sentimentalize it. Once we’ve sentimentalized Christmas – de-clawed it – neutered it – tamed it; once we’ve reduced Christmas to sentimentality, it lays wide open to every abuse.


Has Christmas become something more than a celebration of Christ coming into our world? Is it just about a celebration of family and friends and "smiling and saying hello to people we don't know?"

Bell reminds us that the Jesus who stood up and read from Isaiah a passage that had Herod shaking in his boots has been replaced. Replaced with a Jesus that looks a little like the Santa Clause that we try so hard to distinguish him from.

But Advent is anticipation of the King coming to earth. The King with those different principles like the first being last. The King who called us to preach, "Fear God and Give Glory to Him for the hour of his judgement is come, and worship the creator." The King is come. Let us live as though the King has come until the King does come.

4 comments:

  1. I did the Jesse Tree Advent readings with my children for our morning worship for the past few weeks. I mentioned it to another SDA and you would have thought I had said I was converting to Catholicism by the reaction. (Hmm, I didn't know that reading about Christ's birth was strictly a Catholic activity) Our family enjoyed the Christ-centered focus that the Advent readings gave to our holiday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she...

    A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing just a little analysis on this. And he in truth purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. suglelss...

    I was very happy to seek out this net-site.I wished to thanks on your time for this glorious read!! I positively having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post....

    ReplyDelete
  4. she...

    I am also commenting to let you be aware of of the amazing discovery my girl enjoyed visiting your site. She discovered such a lot of pieces, including how it is like to have an amazing helping nature to have most people without difficulty gain knowled...

    ReplyDelete